Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Quick Thoughts on the release of the Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy:


Even with all the imperfections, the colour fluctuations, the occasional white specs of missing emulsion, the boxes or matte lines around comped in objects and vehicles....or maybe BECAUSE of these very same imperfections....it felt like coming home. It felt familiar and true. It was like opening a box of stuff you'd put away a long time ago only to find it contained a near mint action figure you'd adored as a child, having handled it as gently as if it were made of glass, one that you'd thought lost forever to the sandboxes or friend's houses or backyards of time...maybe it was even one of the slightly rarer ones! As previously retouched scene came and went as they had been in 1977, the sparse gang of sandtroopers finding evidence of droids, the old shots of the Jawa's sandcrawler cresting the dunes, all the old cantina aliens right where they should be and, of course, Han shooting Greedo under the table like the experienced con we always loved him for being, it felt as if the actual film was allowed to breathe again rather than be roped in and constrained by out-of-place, anachronistic special effects additions and second guesses that tried so hard to fit in but ended up just belittling the beauty of what was done all those years ago. I felt like the heroes and villains and their galaxy were one again, united into a coherent whole. Every actor was young again, innocent, full of energy and hope, the cynicism that the new special effects betrayed could almost be forgotten. I got so comfortable and contented, like a baby suckling from its mother's teat, that I began to drift off to sleep and finally had to pause it just as our heroes had been sucked in by the Death Star, about to face the Empire head on and with all the youthful, enthusiastic idealism that I'd remembered!

So, thanks George! Finally! And though it's probably just a cash grab, at least it's a cash grab I can benefit from, spiritually.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sinkchicken said...

Hey there! Didn't know anyone was reading this anymore, I kind of just wrote that and posted it for my own benefit...which is weird I suppose, but I wanted to write out how I was feeling about the DVDs. So thanks for commenting, maybe I'll keep writing!

Yeah, I resisted the SE DVDs too. When I heard about this release though, I had the "maybe it's as good as it's gonna get" attitude and since they weren't more expensive than if they DIDN'T have the other DVDs with them, I thought what the heck. (Plus, if I ever feel the need to get the blood going I can always pop in one of the altered versions and start fuming!) I'm also kinda hoping that maybe by supporting this release it might inspire them to do something else with the original edits, like clean up ONLY mattes, remaster the picture and boost the audio. I could live with that I suppose, as long as no additional CG things were brought in to change a single frame. But like I said, they are pretty much fine as they are, and it really does feel like coming home. Rent them if you haven't already! (Not sure when you posted this comment).

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home